Corey from Passive Income to Retire decided to help new bloggers. He issued a Beginner Blogger Challenge that is supposed to help beginner bloggers to navigate the world of blogging. Of course I could not resist joining the challenge because I feel that I might be able to help some new bloggers with a good piece of advice.
I’ve been blogging on and off for about a year and a half. I opened a lot of blogs. I have closed a lot of blogs. I hope that by now I have a few things to share. If you want to find out more about my blogging adventures, please read my Yakezie member post. It tells it all!
In order to help new bloggers (and even some seasoned bloggers!) I decided to choose a somewhat different path. I am not going to write what I think bloggers should do. I am not going to give any technical advice, or explain what SEO is all about, or contemplate how to monetize a blog.
Instead, I am going to provide 20 things that any new (or not so new) blogger should stop doing. I hope that the list below will make anyone’s blogging life easier. I am guilty of doing all of them. I am not a saint, and guess what… I am still doing some of these things.
20 Things Bloggers Should Stop Doing
- Stop trying to be perfect. Remember, perfect is boring. Readers want to relate. No one can relate to perfect.
- Stop comparing yourself to others. You are not perfect but you are unique. Therefore, your blogging story is special. Embrace it, and run with it.
- Stop moping, whining and complaining about your blog traffic. You will have good days. You will have bad days. It is called life.
- Stop trying to avoid mistakes. We all make mistakes. It is okay. Just make sure to learn from those mistakes and move on.
- Stop focusing on your blog at work. You have bills to pay. Don’t lose your job over a blog.
- Stop trying to do everything by yourself. Outsource small stuff. It will save you tons of time.
- Stop worrying about what other bloggers think about you and your blog. You cannot control what other people think anyway, so why waste your time obsessing over it?
- Stop fixating on what other bloggers are doing. They are going to do what they are going to do. You don’t want to be them anyway, do you? You want to be you (I hope). Do your own thing.
- Stop trying to compete with other bloggers. Worrying about what others are doing better than you will not help you and your blog to move forward. Concentrate on your own efforts.
- Stop beating around the bush when you write your posts. Be direct. Don’t be afraid to express your opinion. If you have something to say, say it already!
- Stop checking your blog statistics a million times a day. What are you expecting to see there anyway? A smiley face?
- Stop expecting to wake up every morning to one million new followers. You are not Lady Gaga.
- Stop checking your email neurotically because you think that Anderson Cooper wants to interview you. If he does want to interview you, believe me, he’ll wait patiently for your response.
- Stop focusing on making millions of dollars from your blog. Just stop it!
- Stop making emotional decisions. Emotions trump your intelligence. Believe me, I know!
- Stop being too serious about blogging. Life is much more enjoyable when you can relax and have fun.
- Stop trying to be different for the sake of being different. Be yourself. Remember, eccentricity for the sake of nonconformity is, in fact, conformity.
- Stop putting your own needs or needs of your family on a back burner because of your blog. You still have a life. If you don’t, then go and get one!
- Stop worrying. Period. Worrying is useless.
- Stop doubting yourself. Once and for all.